Thursday, February 25, 2010

Looks like Love

This morning I was listening to some of my favorite music that reminds me of the JH Ranch and I started looking through old things, notes, pictures, etc.. I stumbled upon some things from when I was in Georgia and found a sweet note that I had written that I thought I would share:

There was a little boy who was about 8 years old. He was autistic. If I remember correctly he was H1N1 positive and we were trying to start an IV to get some fluids and medicine in him. Knowing that we would only be able to poke him one time before he completely lost it, we had to do it right the first time. His mom asked if she could come in while we were starting it, but we said no as we typically don't encourage parents to be in there because its harder to get stuff done with the kids freaking out and reaching for their parents all the more. As we were putting the tourniquet on and cleaning the area with alcohol prep pads, he begins freaking out. At this point he is absolutely hysterical and it seems as its going to be a challenge to even calm him down, much less get his IV going. We allowed the mom to come in with hopes of calming her son down. She came right beside him on the bed and grabbed his face. She had her hands around his face (kind of like blinders) and her face was right in front of him so they could only see each other. She said, "look at me!! Look at me! Look at me... 1... 2... 3..." He slowly joins in as he's calming down, "4... 5... 6... 7... 8... 9... 10" until he stopped freaking out and was focused on her. In the midst of that the nurse had still been holding his arm and just rubbing over the spot where she would poke him but as he was focused on his mom the nurse poked him and by the time they were done counting she had poked him and had him ready to go.

It was such a sweet moment to witness because you could tell that was their thing. What she has probably done with him countless times in order to help him relax. Later I started thinking about how the Lord desires us to do the same thing. If we would just focus on him instead of the the chaos and confusion around us it would make every situation better.

2 comments:

  1. Kas,
    My Mom doesn't know how to leave comments so she wanted me to tell you that your post really encouraged her. You are just so good at seeing God in every little thing. Love that about you. Let's hang out...soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, here I am crying reading that post! It is just incredible! God is good and so are women like her!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs