Saturday, November 1, 2014

Buying & Registering

As I've been preparing for a little one to come into the home, there have been so many things that I needed to buy.  I started the registration process this week, and since I've never done one for a wedding or baby before, I wasn't really sure how much stuff there would be out there!  I mean I knew, of course because I've shopped, but how do you know the best item for something you've never used before?  Most stuff I have bought before I have some kind of experience buying (clothes, makeup, home stuff), but these brands are completely foreign to me.  I got pretty overwhelmed and then that same night, my mom was over helping me figure it out (thanks, mom!)

I personally like to buy cheap.  Not so cheap that I'll have to keep going back to repurchase, but I think there are a load of items you can buy middle of the line and be just as good (if not better) as some of the pricey items.  So that's what I registered for.  Some things caught my eye, and there were random things that I knew I wanted to buy to help specifically with a new kid in the home, Table Topics.  I feel like I'm good at asking questions, but not great.  And from years in the past of working with kids, I know not to ask questions that have a yes/no answer, but what about when I run out of things to talk about?  Anyways, table topics I stumbled upon in a store and thought they'd be perfect for dinner conversation to help us connect.  Things like the booster seat are required, which is fine but I'm mostly exacted to install it, I hear they are loads of fun! haha... kidding. 

Apparently baby monitors are amazing for all ages to just keep an extra eye on them and listen for anything that might not sound quite right.  Again never used one, so I just picked.  A lot of the things I registered for where just marked "best seller", if it was marked as such, reasonable price and good reviews, that's probably the one I went with. 

If you are wanting to help out and see that I've registered for something that you have and could donate, please let me know and I'll take if off my registry!  I don't need a new one of most of these things and would be glad to take something you no longer use off your hands so long as it still works! 

Also, do 4-8 year old kids still use bath toys?  I cannot remember for the life of me if that age still plays in the tub?

I registered at both Amazon and Target.  Mainly because they have so many items and most people have a target near them and obviously, Amazon is anywhere you have internet.  Below is the list I made as I went through training, talked with people and heard stories and knew I'd need.  On the registries I added some stuff I stumbled upon that I thought might be good. 
  • Rocking Chair 
  • Car Seat/Booster Seat 
  • Baby Monitor 
  • Comforter/Bed Spread 
  • OTC Drugs 
  • Kitchen Bowls/Plates/Silverware
  • Pictures, Décor
  • Table Topics
  • Shower Curtain
  • Bath Toys?
  • Organizing Baskets (bathroom)
  • Clothes/Shoes
    • Jacket
    • Shirts
    • Shorts/Pants
    • Shoes
    • Underwear
    • Socks
    • Nightgown/PJs
  • School Supplies
    • Backpack
    • Notebooks
    • Pens/Pencils
  • Entertainment: 
    • Kids books
    • Kids games
    • Kids movies
  • Outlet Safety Plugs 
  • Double Lock for Meds
  • Install Smoke Detector  
If there is anything you used for a young child, please let me know!! I'd love to have some wisdom of you parents out there and take any advice on what has or hasn't worked!

Open to suggestions!
Kasey

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you!! Jude is 5 and still loves to play with toys in the bath. So glad to hear you have a registry! We will definitely help you out and I'll look around for stuff to donate to you. Prayers and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, thanks so much Jenny! I added some bath wall art items to the registries!

      Delete
  2. I am not well versed in matters such as these; however, I do know that when my grandchildren come to our house they always enjoy drawing and coloring. I bring home blank paper from the recycle bag at work for this purpose. They especially like it when I bring card stock or oversized pages, like unused sports schedules with a blank white side. We maintain an assortment of crayons and markers. * Also, I will be on the lookout for good used children's books. (This will give me yet another excuse - as if I needed one - to go to book sales.) * Kasey, I have put you on my prayer list and will be praying for you daily. I deeply respect this thing which you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so very much KP!! This is good to know, i'll def start building my art collection... I've got some stuff, but not nearly enough. Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers, they mean so much to me.

      Delete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs